Saturday, April 01, 2006

Should one say the word "nigger"? Of course, one should not use the word. Properly employed, it means only one thing: I am superior to you because you are black. That is a lie, and it is wrong to lie.

Digression: the common reason for not using it is that it is offensive; however, outside of the personal realm, I believe it is wrong to avoid giving offense if to do so requires dishonesty: so, I criticize use of the word "nigger" on the stronger grounds.

Back to the point. Should a post like this, which discusses it, substitute "n-word"? Since I am mentioning, not using, the word (see an article on the difference), I am not attempting to communicate a false and degrading message. The simplest way to refer to the word is simply to type the letters N-I-G-G-E-R. I can see two arguments against it:

1) Words are not simply forms for communication, but possess a magic power. "Nigger" is the "abracadabra" of racial insults.

2) After centuries of oppression, white people must pay tribute to black people by avoiding the word. "Nigger" is the anti-"YHWH" of the covenant of racial equality.

I fear capitulation to superstition, or to power, and I refuse.